Seven Leading Causes for Slips and Falls at the Grocery Store
Slips and falls are common in grocery stores because of different reasons. These accidents inflict injuries to customers and possibly lead to lawsuits.
It’s thus better to know the top causes of slips and falls in grocery stores to avoid them the next time you go grocery shopping. You should also know what to do if you slip, fall, and sustain injuries in a store.
Also, always consult a personal injury attorney in Burbank when filing a slip and fall case. They can help you take legal actions against the liable parties in the grocery stores if needed.
What Cause Slip and Fall Accidents in Grocery Stores
Here are the most common causes of slips and falls in a grocery store.
1. Food Spill
These are food substances spills on the floor from different sources like:
- Punctured food product packaging
- Fallen food items from display
- Spilled food and drinks from other customers
2. Uneven Flooring
A person can trip and fall because of some problems on the flooring, such as:
- Uneven carpeting
- Popping floor tiles
- Cracked flooring
- Worn out entryway mats
3. Obstruction on the Flooring
Customers can also slip, trip, or fall because of different obstructions on the floor. These are objects that the store management or staff may have irresponsibly left on the floor, like:
- Ladders leaning on racks
- Large product boxes
- Disarranged merchandise on the floor
- Unkempt wiring
4. Unnatural Water Source
Customers may fall on floors made wet by unnatural water sources like:
- Moisture from the freezer
- Water from the drinking fountain
- Plumbing problems, especially in sinks and toilet
5. Poor Exterior Maintenance
Improper maintenance on a store’s exterior can cause accidents too. Examples are:
- Damaged drainage and roof gutters that cause water spills
- Neglected and unmaintained winter snow
- Open manhole
6. Lack of Safety Features
A person may also slip and fall if there’s nothing to hold on to for support when required. Examples are railings on stairways and in the restrooms.
The fall may have been triggered by something else, like a wet floor. However, the customer could have avoided the accident if safety features were present.
7. Lack of Warnings and Signs
This factor could not be the actual cause of a slip and fall accident, but lack of signs exposes customers to particular risks.
For example, there is a leaking drinking fountain, and the management is aware of it. The store is liable if a customer slips because there was no wet floor sign in the area.
What to Do If You Slip and Fall in a Grocery Store
These tips can prove helpful while taking legal action if you slip and fall at the grocery store.
- Take as many photos as you can from the area where you slipped and fell. The pictures must include pictures of your injuries, the condition of the place, and the accident cause.
- Notify the management or owner of the store about the accident and get their contact details. File an accident report and secure a copy for yourself.
- Get witness statements from people who were there at the time of the accident. Also, speak with witnesses who can prove that the accident cause was already there beforehand.
- Seek medical attention and get treated for your injuries. Also, keep a copy of medical reports as proof of the extent of your injuries.
- Lastly, hire a reliable personal injury lawyer to help with your case.
Consult a Burbank Personal Injury Lawyer to Take Immediate Legal Action
Always be careful while buying groceries to avoid slipping and falling at the store. You should also know your rights and what you can do if you encounter an accident at the grocery store.
One of your rights is the right to hire a personal injury attorney in Burbank to help you take legal actions if needed.