What to Do If You Get Involved in an Accident with a Commercial Vehicle
Did you know that most of the deaths and injuries in large commercial vehicles are the passenger vehicle occupants?
It’s not surprising, as it’s mainly due to the difference in vehicular size and weight.
That’s why you need to know what to do to get justice if you get injured in a commercial vehicle accident.
About commercial vehicles, they include big rig and box trucks and any car or truck someone drives for a company or business.
What You Need to Do
1. Get Treated
The first thing to do is visit your doctor and get treated, even if you feel the injuries aren’t significant. You never know when a minor injury later develops into a chronic condition without proper treatment.
There’s also the chance of the accident shock and adrenalin masking any pain you feel.
Don’t forget to collect the medical records for proof after any treatment.
2. Don’t Leave the Accident Spot
Never leave the accident spot.
Instead, inform the nearest police station about the accident. Failing to report the accident may lead to your driver’s license suspension and possible legal actions.
3. Collect Information
If you aren’t severely injured, there are a few things you can do while you wait for the first responders to arrive:
- Check other victims’ conditions but don’t move anyone injured or the vehicles
- Collect the names and phone numbers of witnesses and everyone involved in the accident
- Get the truck owner’s and driver’s details, including United States Department of Transportation serial number
- Get the information of both cab and trailer owners if hit by an 18-wheeler as they may separately own them.
- Take relevant photos like weather conditions, everyone’s injuries, lack of signs, property damage, and the location of each vehicle in situ.
Also, make it a habit to document all your medical visits, results, lab information, and rehabilitation appointments. They are vital as proof of your injuries.
Make sure you reveal any previous injuries and illnesses you had while making these visits. Your doctor has to document any changes if the accident worsened their conditions.
4. Do Not Speak to the Other Driver’s Insurance Company Alone
Insurance companies are always trying to limit the compensation they payout. Even insurance providers for large commercial vehicles will try to collect as much incriminating evidence against you while you speaking to them.
The best way to avoid this is by having your Burbank auto accident attorney by your side while talking to them.
5. Tell the Truth
Always tell the truth while speaking with an adjuster or reposing police officers. Don’t lie, as any mistruths may end up harming your case and claim.
Also, be honest and open with your attorney and doctor for the same reasons.
6. Don’t Waste Time in Hiring an Experienced Auto Accident Lawyer in Burbank
It’s better to act quickly to hire a lawyer if you get involved in a commercial accident. It’s because companies with commercial fleets are permitted to destroy their records after six months.
Most commercial vehicle accidents occur because of a driver error or being on the road for longer than the federally permitted 11 hours.
You need to act quickly so that your attorney can investigate the accident circumstances and retrieve relevant records.
Besides a lawyer:
- Reduces the risk of your making mistakes or saying too much
- Documents all your injuries to ensure you get the desired treatment for a complete recovery
- Will calculate and decide how much you can rightfully deserve as compensation for all injuries and damages incurred
- Offers free initial consultation, so you have nothing to lose!