What to Do If You’re Involved in a Parking Lot Accident
Are you a victim of a parking lot car accident?
If yes, you probably wonder if you can claim compensation, especially since most drivers don’t bother to take legal action after these incidents. They think it’s a waste of time and resources as most of them only sustain minor damage and injuries.
However, what if you feel you deserve compensation to cover car repair and medical treatment bills?
Can you get successful results from the case?
Read on and know the crucial steps when taking legal action for a parking lot accident and get the best outcomes.
Steps to Take After a Parking Lot Car Accident
While most parking lot accidents only cause minor damage, some can make you spend significant amounts for car repairs or medical treatment.
For example, a light rear-end bump could push your head to swing back and forth, causing whiplash injuries. The same force could also knock off your car’s alignment or damage your lights.
You may thus need to claim compensation to cover the car repair and medical treatment bills with the following steps:
1. Exchange Details with the Other Driver
Swap information with the other driver, regardless if you sustained minor or significant damage. It will help you communicate with the liable party if you end up having to claim benefits.
Some information you should get includes:
- Driver’s name and contact information
- Car insurance details
- Car make, model, and license plate number
2. Collect Evidence from the Scene
Gather as much evidence as possible to support your claim, especially if your car only got minor damage. You may take photos of the damage, but you may need additional proof for the case.
- Collecting video footage from security cameras around the parking lot that proves how the accident happened
- Gathering witness statements, like from security personnel or other drivers around
- Car repair bills establish the repairs needed to fix the damage
- Medical documents proving the injuries you sustained
3. Seek Immediate Medical Evaluation and Car Servicing
This step will help you decide about taking legal action or not, as it will prove the severity of the damage you sustain.
The physician may find hidden injuries that could cause severe complications when left untreated. In this case, you may have to claim compensation to cover the treatment costs.
However, it’s not worth pursuing a case if you only require a few medications to recover.
You may also claim benefits if your car sustained functional damage that needs significant repairs, like a suspension system problem.
4. Consult a Reliable Lawyer
Immediately call a Burbank auto accident attorney and discuss your case with them. They will verify if it’s worth pursuing the other driver for compensation or if it’s better to avoid a lawsuit.
If your attorney confirms you have a case, then they will help you:
- Prove who is at fault and how the parking lot accident happened
- Prove the extent of your injuries and damage to determine your deserved benefits
- Collect additional evidence to support your case
- Communicate with the at-fault party’s insurance provider for settlement
- Represent you in trials if your case reaches the court
Hire an Auto Accident Lawyer in Burbank to Handle Your Parking Lot Accident Case
Parking space accidents may have minor or devastating consequences. It’s thus better to remember the steps to take after such an incident to claim compensation if necessary. These points will guide you to the best course of action right after the incident to get fruitful outcomes.
And a Burbank auto accident attorney will help you take the best legal action for your unique case.